Mi Casa Theatre
Mi Casa has been making work based out of Ottawa since 2009. We make performance that is maybe theatre, maybe music, but certainly live. Blending experience in physically devised work rooted in cabaret, circus and vaudeville with contemporary approaches to interdisciplinary collaboration, Mi Casa creates new work out of disparate vocabularies. Throughout our process, play, listening, bad jokes, impulse, and wonder remain central values.
They have toured their work to living rooms, church basements, community centres, bar and Fringe Festivals and also performed at Summerworks, the Globe Shumiatcher Sandbox Series, the Wildside Festival, undercurrents, In the Soil, The Prince Edward County Players, Videofag, Ottawa International Children's Festival, ReVolver Festival, and the Revolutions International Theatre Festival.
Wolf Child is a new work for young audiences set to premiere in May 2015 at the Ottawa International Children's Festival
- We reframe the ordinary to expose the magical qualities of the mundane and texture the tragic with surprise and whimsy.
- We make the Process evident in the Performance by embracing the pleasure of collaborative problem-solving, and extending that joy to the audience.
- We acknowledge that Spectators and Performers are all sharing the same sensory space.
- We unravel the secret life of lost and discarded objects by giving them new functions in a theatrical context.
- We give audiences the agency to understand not just through their heads, but through their bones, their bellies and their own experiences
- Revised from the Belly of a Whale (2014) created by the Mi Casa Ensemble
- Collapsible (2013) by Emily Pearlman
- Hroses: An Affront To Reason (2013) by Jill Connell. Co-produced with Evolution Theatre.
- HIDE (2012) created by the Mi Casa Ensemble
- LIVE from the Belly of a Whale (2011) created by the Mi Casa Ensemble
- Countries Shaped Like Stars (2009) created by the Mi Casa Ensemble
- Inclement Weather (2009) created by the Mi Casa Ensemble
- Nick Di Gaetano - Co-Artistic Director
- Emily Pearlman - Co-Artistic Director
- Patrick Gauthier - Associate Artist
- 2013 Prix Rideau Awards for Best Director - Emily Pearlman, Best Actor - Katie Swift, Best Sound Design - Al Connors for Hroses: An Affront to Reason
- 2013 Edmonton Fringe Staff Choice award for Countries Shaped Like Stars
- 2012 Prix Rideau Award for Best Set Design, John Doucet, Live from the Belly of a Whale
- 2011 Ottawa Fringe awards for Outstanding Concept and Outstanding Overall Production for Live from the Belly of a Whale
- 2009 Prix Rideau Awards for Best New Work, Best Fringe Show and Emerging Artist for Countries Shaped Like Stars
- 2009 Ottawa Fringe award for Outstanding Overall Production for Countries Shaped Like Stars