Major Matt Mason Collective
Based in Calgary, the Major Matt Mason Collective is a collection of multi-disciplinary artists dedicated to creating visceral, intimate, experimental, small-scale theatre about and for Calgary’s younger generation. The company's focus is to connect to young adults who haven’t had a strong relationship with theatre, and to find different approaches to presentation that make theatre a new and exciting prospect.
History of Work
- Premium Content * by David Gagnon Walker. (Spring 2018 at the Pumphouse Theatre, Calgary AB)
- Little Red * by the Major Matt Mason Collective and Eric Rose. (Spring 2017 at the West Village Theatre, Calgary AB – in collaboration with Ghost River Theatre)
- Air * by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Summer 2015 at Edmonton's Found Festival, Birds and Stone (Calgary, AB), & Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival)
- Control * by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Spring 2014 at the Motel Theatre, Calgary AB)
- girls!girls!girls! by Greg MacArthur. (Spring 2013 at Birds and Stone, Calgary AB)
- This Is Our Youth by Kenneth Lonergan. (Summer 2011, presented at the Calgary and Regina Fringe Festivals)
- Destroy * by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Spring 2011 at the Motel Theatre, Calgary AB)
* Represents a world premiere
Wildfire National Playwriting Competition
Since 2015 The Major Matt Mason Collective has organized an annual crowd-funded playwriting prize for young playwrights in Canada via their Wildfire National Playwriting Competition. The winners of this competition receive a cash prize and development support. Over the three years the competition has run, the collective had awarded over $3,500 to young playwrights across the country as well as stage five workshop readings of winning plays.
Previous Wildfire Competition Winners
- 2017 First Place Winner: Gobbledygobbledygook by David Gagnon Walker.
- 2017 Second Place Winner: zahgidiwin/love by Frances Koncan.
- 2016 First Place Winner: Serenity Wild by Mx Katie Sly.
- 2016 Second Place Winner: The Exhibition of Extraordinary Oddities and Living Freaks by Chelsea Woolley.
- 2015 First Place Winner: Cleave by Elena Belyea.
- 2015 Second Place Winner: Always by Michaela Jeffrey.