Major Matt Mason Collective
Based in Calgary, the Major Matt Mason Collective is a collection of multi-disciplinary artists dedicated to creating visceral, intimate, experimental, small-scale theatre about and for Calgary’s younger generation. The company's focus is to connect to young adults who haven’t had a strong relationship with theatre, and to find different approaches to presentation that make theatre a new and exciting prospect.
History of Work
- Air by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Summer 2015 at Edmonton's Found Festival, Birds and Stone [Calgary AB], & Winnipeg Fringe)
- Control by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Spring 2014 at the Motel Theatre, Calgary AB)
- girls!girls!girls! by By Greg MacArthur. (Spring 2013 at Birds and Stone, Calgary AB)
- This Is Our Youth by Kenneth Lonergan. (Summer 2011, presented at the Calgary and Regina Fringe Festivals)
- Destroy by Geoffrey Simon Brown. (Spring 2011 at the Motel Theatre, Calgary AB)
Wildfire National Playwriting Competition
Since 2015 The Major Matt Mason Collective, in association with Sage Theatre, has organized an annual crowd-funded playwriting prize for emerging playwrights in Canada via their Wildfire National Playwriting Competition. The winners of this competition receive a cash prize, a flight to Calgary, and a workshop of their script culminating in a reading at the Ignite! Festival for Emerging Artists.
2015 Wildfire Competition Winners
- First Place Winner: Cleave by Elena Belyea.
- Second Place Winner: Always by Michaela Jeffrey.