Joyce Kline's interdisciplinary approach to theatre stems from her eclectic career as an visual, installation and performance artist, writer, playwright, dancer, journalist, community organizer, and teacher.
- 2013: Smash a Plate! developed in master class for musical theatre creators with Tony-nominated composer Michael John LaCiusa & book writer Sybil Pearson, Arts Club/Touchstone’s InTune conference.
- 2013: Smash a Plate!, writer/lyricist. New musical in development with director/dramaturge Paula Kalustian, Director of Musical Theatre MFA program, San Diego State University.
- 2011: Smash a Plate!, public work-in-progress reading as part of Intrepid Theatre’s YOUshow series, Victoria.
- 2009: Smash a Plate!, workshop reading, Belfry Theatre; Plague Dance, excerpts read at ROMP! Festival of Independent Dance, Victoria.
- 1984-94: The Legacy, Vancouver Theatrespace (director Bonnie Worthington); Humanity and Other Experiments, Vancouver Fringe Festival, On Reading a Distant Mirror (now Plague Dance), workshop at New Play Centre (director Susan Astley).
- 1986-88: Member, Guild of Canadian Musical Theatre Writers.
ACTING & PERFORMANCE
- 2014: Writer/performer, The Flame, Belfry Theatre; reading actor, Lady Audley’s Secret, Langham Court Theatre, Victoria, BC.
- 2002-10: Reading actor, The Person, Puente Theatre Wordplay reading series, Belfry Theatre; actor, two CFUV radio dramas, Victoria; solo actor, Scrapshots-winning short film Matilda’s Last Waltz, Cinevic, Victoria.
- 1993-4: Writer/performer: No Mo’ PoMo and The Silencing of the Lambs (adult puppet theatre), Artword Centre, Toronto; writer/performer, This could get us a grant and The Book of Joyce, Workscene Gallery, Toronto; founding member, Necessary Corrective Collective (comedy collective).
- 1978-83: Professional belly dancer and dance teacher, Canada, US, UK, and France; singer/songwriter with experimental group ANOYZ, Courtenay; poetry/performance art, Pitt Gallery, Vancouver; amateur stand-up comic.
ART DIRECTION, PROPS & COSTUME
- 2014: Costume design, props mistress, The Small Room at the Top of the Stairs, Langham Court Theatre; props mistress, The Penelopiad, Langham Court Theatre; props mistress, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, Langham Court
- 2012: Art director, locations manager, wardrobe mistress, and co-producer, C’mon music video. (Reel to Reel People’s Choice Award 1st runner-up)
- 2015: The Broken Ones, Broken Mirror Films, director Jeremy Lutter
- 2014: CAW, Broken Mirror Films, director Jeremy Lutter
FICTION AND SELECTED NON-FICTION WRITING
- 2014: “Back to Back to the Land,” Literary Review of Canada (review).
- 1991-2011: “The Best Christmas Party Ever,” Globe & Mail; “The Bad Boys of Modern Art” and “Black Market Culture,” Literary Review of Canada (reviews); “No Mo’ PoMo,” This Magazine (subject of a TV Ontario Imprint program); “Trial by Jury: State of the Arts Funding in Canada,” Artword (Recommended in the Globe & Mail and EYE Weekly and excerpted in Writing Space Journal); “The Emperor’s New Discourse,” Workseen (subject of a TV Ontario Imprint program).
- 2009: Finalist, The Writers’ Union of Canada’s Writing for Children Competition.
- 2007-present: Instructor, Victoria College of Art and Royal Roads University.
- 1992-2012: Solo exhibitions: Varkaus Art Museum, Finland; A Space Gallery, Toronto (subject of a NOW cover feature); Visual Arts Burnaby Gallery at Ceperly House; Evergreen Cultural Centre, Coquitlam; Campbell River and District Public Art Gallery; Eye Level Gallery, Halifax; Gallery Connection, Fredericton; Workscene Gallery, Toronto; A.K.A. Artists’ Centre, Saskatoon, Community Arts Council Gallery, Victoria.
- Group exhibitions: Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, Villa Wegelius Art Centre and Pielisen Museum, Finland; Workscene Gallery, Toronto; Victoria and Scarborough Arts Council galleries.
- Private collections including those of the late Henry Morgentaler & poet Lynn Crosbie.
ART & ARTS WRITING GRANTS & AWARDS
Canada Council Travel Grant; two Ontario Arts Council Arts Writing Grants; Toronto Arts Council Grant to Visual Artists; two Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance Grants; York University In-Course Scholarship Award.
Fine Arts B.A. (with distinction), York University and Cornell University. Post graduate studies, University of Art and Design Helsinki; Royal Roads University. Independent dance & visual art study: Vancouver School of Art, Langara College, Ryerson University, private study with Amor Sehili of Tunis Conservatory, Tunisia.
Master class for musical theatre creators with Tony-nominated composer Michael John LaCiusa & book writer Sybil Pearson, Arts Club/Touchstone 2013 InTune conference
Ongoing theatre, writing and performance related workshops with Martha Ross, John Millard, Nicole Natrass, Cecelia McBride, Kirsten Van Ritzen, Anita Majunder, Emelia Symington Fedy among others.