Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Theatre Awards
The Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Theatre Awards celebrate and promote the outstanding achievements of the Edmonton Professional Theatre community. They are known affectionately as the Sterlings.
About Elizabeth Sterling Haynes
In 1922, Elizabeth moved to Edmonton from Toronto. She directed and acted in productions both at the University and around the city. In 1929 she co-founded the Alberta Drama League and Edmonton’s Little Theatre.In 1933, she initiated a summer school of Drama in Banff which went on to become the internationally renowned Banff School of Arts. She was a force, a creative energy unleashed in Edmonton.
About The Elizabeth Sterling Haynes Awards Society
The Sterling Awards were created in 1987 to celebrate outstanding professional theatre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. They are named in honour of Elizabeth Sterling Haynes, director, actress, educator and architect of innumerable theatre programs and schools throughout the province. As renowned western playwright Gwen Pharis Ringwood wrote, Elizabeth was a force, a creative energy unleashed at a time when creativity was suspect and at a place where creativity was often ignored in the hope that it would go away....Her theatre exists in the people whose lives she touched.
The Margaret Mooney Award for Outstanding Achievement in Administration
An annual award which honours an administrator who has most embodied the hard work and excellence the professional theatre demands.
The Ross Hill Award for Outstanding Achievement in Production
An annual honour for an individual in production; technicians, stage managers, educators, heads of wardrobe or electrics or sound: the experts behind the scenes for a body of work exemplifying a career of distinction and accomplishment.
Life Time Achievement
Recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to theatre in Edmonton.
- Outstanding Production of a Play
- Timothy Ryan Award for Outstanding Production of a Musical
- Outstanding New Play
- Outstanding Director
- Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
- Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
- Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
- Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
- Outstanding Independent Production
- Oustanding Set Design
- Outstanding Costume Design
- Outstanding Lighting Design
- Outstanding Multi-Media Design
- Oustanding Score of a Play or Musical
- Outstanding Musical Director
- Outstanding Choreography or Fight Direction
- Outstanding Achievement in Production
- Outstanding Production for Young Audiences
- Outstanding Artistic Achievement, Theatre for Young Audiences
- Outstanding Fringe Production
- Outstanding Fringe New Work
- Outstanding Fringe Performance by an Actress
- Outstanding Fringe Performance by an Actor
- Outstanding Fringe Director
- Special Achievement Award for Outstanding Innovation in the Theatre